Thomas Turnbull (tom_o_t on drupal.org) and Alan Palazzolo (zzolo on drupal.org) join Mike Anello to talk about their new book from O’Reilly Media, Mapping with Drupal. Mike’s usual co-hosts, Andrew and Ryan, were both unable to participate in the podcast, leaving Thomas and Alan subject to Mike’s long-winded (but extremely interesting by some accounts) questions.
- Mapping with Drupal, OpenLayers, GMap, Geofield, Leaflet, and the Geospatial Modules Assessment.
- When will Drupal 7 installs beat Drupal 6 installs?
- Drupal community metrics
- iO1 Acquires drupalmodules.com
- chx needs a break
Picks of the Week
- Mike - Entity Views Attachment by Jeff Eaton (eaton on drupal.org) - allows you to attach a view to an entity (node). Very useful for attaching OG content lists to an OG node, user’s activity to their user page, etc... Provides a new Views Display type.
- Thomas - Location CCK Migrate module by Pol Dell'Aiera (Pol on drupal.org) - migrate location data to geofield for Drupal 7
- Alan - Geocoder module by Michael Favia (michaelfavia on drupal.org), Niel Hastings (indytechcook on drupal.org), and Patrick Hayes (phayes on drupal.org) - a general geocoding API for Drupal 7
Site of the Week
http://barakasamsara.com/ - a beautiful map-enabled site.
If you'd like your site highlighted, please submit it at http://DrupalEasy.com/siteoftheweek.
Make sure Ryan and Andrew never miss another podcast. Ever.
Follow us on Twitter
If you'd like to leave us a voicemail, call 321-441-3964. Please keep in mind that we might play your voicemail during one of our future podcasts. Feel free to call in with suggestions, rants, questions, or medical advice for Andrew. If you'd rather just send us an email, please use our contact page at http://DrupalEasy.com/contact
Thanks for the mention in your show notes. A few months ago, I did a session at the Drupal Indy User group about how I integrated Gecoding, Solr and Openlayers.
i just put together an index
i just put together an index for this very informative podcast
05:35; Drupal was one of the first CMS to integrate with Maps
19:00; Client-side performance issues & clustering
24:35; Geocode & center map on users location by using HTML5 Geolocation
29:53; OpenLayers complexities, CTools, Display using Views, Panels or API
34:05; OpenLayers related modules: Geofield, Geocoder, ...
35:20; Geofield in Drupal 7 instead of Location module before
37:40; Recommended setup - Quickstart for storing locations and displaying them
OpenLayers + Geofield + Addressfield
GMap + Location
42:10; Leaflet (Cloudmade)
44:55; Book wrapup
46:25; Book introduction chapters + Motivation on mapping
49:25; Popular mapping blogs, cartography, best map of the year
1:06; Location CCK migrate sandbox
transforms D6 location_cck fields into D7 geofields
1:07; Geocoder, get geospatial data from address field into geofield
1:09:20; Baraka samsara films - map site use case
Thanks much for doing this!
Thanks much for doing this!