Prolific Drupal contributor Dave Reid joins Ryan Price and Mike Anello on the first DrupalEasy podcast of 2012. They discuss the Meta Tags module (and why it’s not just for SEO anymore), Drupal’s security team, Drupal 8’s WSCCI initiative, the increasing complexity of Drupal’s code and the decreasing number of core contributors.
Five Four Stories
- Dave Reid (Dave Reid on Drupal.org)
- Rethinking WSCCI
- Drupal core office hours update
- Is the Web Dead? chx says no
Picks of the Week
- Mike - WeeNudge.com - Teach your clients about the web - a collection of articles about various web development topics that can be used to help educate clients.
- Ryan - 10 colour contrast checking tools to improve the accessibility of your design
- Dave - Nodewords 6.x-1.13 finally released
Site of the Week
If you'd like your site highlighted, please submit it at http://DrupalEasy.com/siteoftheweek.
- Who is the most prolific Drupal tweeter?
- We need a “pick of the week” jingle.
Follow us on Twitter
If you'd like to leave us a voicemail, call 321-441-3964. Please keep in mind that we might play your voicemail during one of our future podcasts. Feel free to call in with suggestions, rants, questions, or time management suggestions for Andrew. If you'd rather just send us an email, please use our contact page at http://DrupalEasy.com/contact
One... Two... Five!
..and the decreasing number of core contributors.
The number of core developers is not decreasing, not at all. It has increased more or less linearly with each major version, from 300 or so in Drupal 4.7 to nearly 1000 in Drupal 7. Furthermore, as of Dec. 19, 485 people already had commit mentions for Drupal 8--twice as many as there were by the same point in the Drupal 7 cycle. So, core is thriving, and more and more people are getting involved.
What is decreasing is the ratio of developers to open issues, or developers to Drupal users, because the latter two quantities appear at a casual glance to be increasing geometrically rather than linearly. So that ratio goes down. This may be inevitable, though.
That is my understanding as well, though not having the same intimate knowledge as you, it didn't come out like that.
We should have you on the show some time. Dave's numerous mentions of you have convinced me of that.
I just meant in the teaser text above.