Theming in Drupal 8 has taken a giant leap forward, this workshop will provide students with a solid foundation of knowledge to build upon. The inclusion of the Twig template engine in Drupal 8 means that experienced Drupal 7 themers will have to gain new skills in order to be productive in Drupal 8. Luckily, the changes made to Drupal 8's theme system will result in more streamlined and secure themes. This workshop will teach students the anatomy of a Drupal 8 theme, the new Drupal core base themes, modern front-end development tools (dependency managers, CSS pre-processors), working with Twig template files, as well as using the Bootstrap base theme (including working with LESS). The workshop includes more than a few hands-on exercises, and by the end of the workshop, students should have the skills and confidence to begin building Drupal 8 themes.
This is a 1.5 day workshop, normally presented in three 4-hour sessions.
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Some experience with PHP.
- Experience working in the command-line interface.
- Experience working in a local *AMP development environment.
- Experience with a code editor.
- Existing knowledge of Drupal 7 theming is helpful, but not necessary.
- An up-and-running local *AMP stack with a fresh Drupal 8 install.